Day I: Tuesday, 15 November 2022 (Session II)
Topic: Career Opportunities for Engineers in PSU (Oil & Gas Industries)
Speaker: Mr. Mukesh Biswas, Sr. HR Manager, Director General of Hydrocarbons, Noida
In the second session of the Student Orientation and Induction Program, Mr. Mukesh Biswas addressed the students on “Career Opportunities for Engineers in PSUs (Oil & Gas Industries)”
He began his session with an eye-opening statement “First understand yourself”. He then shared the information about PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings), the need of PSUs, the role of PSUs, Navratna, Maharatna and Miniratna Companies. He also shared the recruitment processes for hiring.
- The entry in PSUs is through GATE examination score, most of the PSUs take top scorers of the GATE examination, for example, ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited). GATE Examination is not compulsory in some PSUs.
- PSUs follow open recruitment process through any one of the IITs every year.
- Mechanical Engineers work in core domain like automobile as I.T. engineers work in I.T. sector.
- In Oil and Gas Industries, geologist work in core team and geologist is not an engineer but geo-scientist.
- Services are also provided to PSUs by the I.T. engineer.
- Gain knowledge of technologies other than your branch.
- Pursue internships in PSUs.
It was a wonderful session for the students enrolled in the core branches.